The steps given in this article will show you how to change your Linksys WiFi password.
There are many reasons why you should change the default Linksys wireless password. The wireless password is important for the overall security of your wireless network, an only you and your family or co-workers if it’s a business network, should have access to it.
Change Linksys WiFi password in 6 Steps
Time needed: 5 minutes.
Now let’s go through the steps to change the WiFi password on your Linksys router.
- First connect to your network
You can’t just take your laptop or smartphone and connect to any network and change its WiFi password. According to that you have to connect to your network first or you won’t be able to make the changes.
- Launch your browser and type 192.168.1.1
The default Linksys router IP is 192.168.1.1. Launch your web browser and type the IP in the address bar. A new window will open.
- Enter the Linksys router username and password
If the IP was correct you will be asked to enter the router username and password. If you haven’t changed these before try to login with the default Linksys router username and password.
Password: leave this field blank
- Select Wireless and then Wireless Security
Click on Wireless in the top menu and then on Wireless Security.
- Change Linksys WiFi password or set up a new one
In this window make sure Wireless Security is Enabled.
Select WPA Pre-Shared Key
In the WPA Shared Key field you can change the WiFi password or set up a new password.
- Save Settings
Click the Save Settings button to save the new Linksys WiFi password.
- In case a new window doesn’t open in Step 2, check whether 192.168.1.1 is your router default IP.
- If the login details are incorrect or you have forgotten them you will have to reset your Linksys router to factory settings.
- After you change the Linksys WiFi password you will have to connect again using the new password on all the devices previously using your wireless network.
- The length of the WiFi password should be between 8 and 63 characters.
- Use a combination of small and capital letters, numbers and special characters to create a strong password.
- The WiFi password is case-sensitive, so be careful.
Now you know how to change your Linksys WiFi password. Under the same Wireless menu, when you login to your Liksys router, you can also change the Wireless Network Name. It is highly recommended to do this as well.