Do you want to secure your home wireless network? You can drastically increase the security of your wireless home network if you change the WiFi password. So in this article we are going to show you how to change WiFi password on Asus router.
Before you begin
In order to change the WiFi password you will need to access the Asus router settings. In order to do this check the following first:
- Is the device you are using to access the Asus router settings connected to the network? If it isn’t connect it using the Ethernet cable (this is the preferred option) or connect to the network over WiFi.
- Do you have the default Asus router IP, username and password? You can find these login details on a sticker on the router or use the following.
- Default IP: 192.168.1.1
- Default username: admin
- Default password: admin
Having all of this by hand makes everything else much easier. So, lets see how to change WiFi password on Asus router.
Change Asus WiFi password [Step by Step]
If you are ready let’s change the WiFi password now:
1. Login to your Asus router first.
Launch the browser on your device. Enter the Asus router IP 192.168.1.1 in the address bar and press the Enter button on your keyboard. When requested enter admin in both the username and password fields.
You can also follow our Asus router login guide here.
Take a look at the menu on the left. Click on Wireless.
3. Select 2.4GHz or 5GHz frequency.
Your ASUS wireless router operates on 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies. Select the 2.4GHz first and when you finish changing the password go back to this step and do it all over again for 5GHz.
4. If there was no WiFi password set up, select Authentication Method.
When you select the Authentication method a field to enter a WiFi password will appear. It is recommended to select WPA2-Personal.
5. Change your ASUS WiFi password or set up a new one.
In the WPA Pre-Shared Key you can enter your new password or change the current one.
6. Click APPLY.
Click the Apply button to save your changes.
7. Repeat everything from Step 3 for 5GHz.
After you change the ASUS WiFi password for your 2.4GHz network, do the same for the 5GHz one.
- Always set up a strong and memorable password.
- Combine capital and small letters, numbers and special characters when you create your password.
- Don’t share your WiFi password with anyone. For your friends you can set up a Guest network.
To sum things up
At this moment you know how to change the ASUS WiFi password.
While you are logged into your ASUS router you can also change the wireless network name (SSID), the router default IP and password and so on. All these are additional layers of security for your wireless network and it is recommended to make the necessary changes as soon as possible.